FAQ’s for Events
Here’s a list of the most common questions my clients ask me about their events. Enjoy!
1. What type of sound gear does Gordon Avenue provide?
2. What about lighting?
3. What about Video screens and Projectors?
4. Can we choose the songs we want for the live music and for dancing?
5. Can Gordon learn a new song for my event?
6. Will Gordon make all the announcements at our event?
7. How early will Gordon arrive?
8. How do I book Gordon Avenue?
9. What types of payment does Gordon Avenue accept?
10. I want to pay via GigMasters. What is GigMasters?
11. Can we customize a package or service?
12. What are the travel costs?
13. What do we need to provide for Gordon on the day of our event?
1. What type of sound gear does Gordon Avenue provide?
I provide two different types of complete sound systems for events. Either system is setup and tested prior to the event. (If an events requires two sound systems, I will setup and test both systems before the event starts. That way I can move from one location to the next, ensuring smooth transitions during the event.) I wait until the end of the day to tear down my gear.
The smaller system is a traditional PA with stereo mains. It is perfect for audiences of up to 100 people. The larger system is a line-array style sound system made by Bose, with all the DJ equipment included. The tower has 24 speakers with a subwoofer next to it, providing uniform sound coverage of 180 degrees. Basically, whether you stand in front of the system or off to the side, you will experience the same crystal clear sound. It sounds incredible and looks beautiful. The Bose is designed to reach an audience of up to 300 people. If there will be more than 300 guests at your event contact me for a customized quote. After 300 people the price will go up, simply because I will need to bring more gear to your event.
Both systems include a microphone (a wired mic for The Private Party package and wireless handheld for The Big Celebration & The Corporate Event packages) to make announcements, toasts, speeches, etc.
Depending on which package you select, FX lighting for the dance floor may also be included. See the FAQ related to lighting. (top)
2. Do you provide lighting for the dance floor? What about Uplighting?
My “Big Celebration” and “Corporate Event” packages come with FX lighting, designed to spread color and movement around the dance floor. Often times this can help make your event feel more like a party. In most cases, I have the FX lights mounted to one or two speaker stands and placed near the DJ table. Either way, the effect will be color and movement spread around the dance floor.
I also offer uplighting. This beautiful type of lighting is not designed to spread color or movement around the dance floor. Instead, it becomes part of the decor of the room, highlighting walls, columns or accent pieces. Uplights are low-power-consumption, high-output LEDs, that can be programmed to any color. Uplighting is available as an add-on at $30 per light, including delivery, setup & teardown.
Here are a few examples of uplighting:
3. What about Video Screens and Projectors?
Though I love video screens and projectors, I do not own or provide them. But don’t let that stop you! I would suggest checking with your venue or local providers. There are many wonderful companies who can provide this for you. (top)
4. Can we choose the songs we want for the live music portion and for dancing? How do we share that information with Gordon Avenue?
Absolutely. I encourage my clients to have as much direct input about their event music as possible! Unlike other music or DJ companies, I don’t come in with an agenda of doing “my thing.” Instead, I want to do “your thing.” In the process, I offer help and advice, and ask my clients to provide me input on what they want.
I provide each of my event clients with questioners designed to provide me with all the info I’ll need to prepare. Clients can select songs they want played (or not played) from my “standard setlist” for live performances and give direction in terms of their “must play” and “do not play” songs for the DJ dancing portion.
Some clients love to pick out everything, while others don’t have specific preferences. Both are great! If my clients don’t have specific preferences, I’m happy to select songs that will work perfectly for the event. (top)
5. Can Gordon learn a new song for our event?
I’d love to! I have a “standard setlist” of all the songs I know & perform. I do my best to keep the list updated, since I’m always learning new material. If the song you want is not on the list, no problem! Clients can hire me to learn and perform a song not currently on my list for only $50 per song. (top)
6. Can Gordon make all the announcements at our event? Can he direct our guests so that everyone knows where to go and what’s happening next?
Many of my clients prefer to appoint their own MC or fill that role themselves – in that case I’m happy to provide a microphone and make sure everyone can hear. If you’d rather have me make the announcements, I’d be thrilled to do so. (top)
7. How early will Gordon arrive on site the day of the event?
Depending on the type of event I will arrive 1 – 3 hours early. I like to setup in a relaxed fashion, not rushing at the last minute, which only adds to the stress of your event. This extra time also allows me to trouble-shoot any issues that may arise and fix things before the event begins. If by chance, access to the venue is delayed, I can set up much faster. I just don’t like to. (top)
8. I’m ready to book Gordon Avenue! How do I complete the process and secure my date?
Booking your event involves two steps:
1. signing a contract
2. submitting a deposit payment
The contract establishes the basic logistical information about the event (who, where, when, etc) and details the services I’ll be providing. It also sets the terms of our agreement (sound gear, policies in case of cancellation, sickness, etc). The deposit payment for each event differs since it’s calculated as 50% of the total price. Most deposits are somewhere between $150 – $500.
There are two ways to pay: 1) through GigMasters or 2) via check or cash. The most popular way is through GigMasters. Once you have decided what package (and any other additional services) you want for your event, I will send (or re-send) a quote through GigMasters with the amount agreed upon. Once you receive the quote, simply press “book now” and GigMasters will walk you through the steps. Once I receive the 50% deposit, you’re event date will be secured! (top)
9. What types of payment do you accept?
Gordon Avenue accepts payment via cash, check and/or credit/debit card. Payments in cash must be made in person.
Payment via check can be mailed to:
2300 Welton Street, #429
Denver, CO 80205
To pay via credit/debit card, I ask my clients to pay through GigMasters or split the credit processing fees with me by paying 1.5%. As a small business I just don’t have the profit margin to absorb those fees completely.
(Paying through GigMasters instead of PayPal—or other online merchants—allows me to accept cards for free. Plus, every event I book through GigMasters give me a higher ranking on their preferred vendors list. Which helps me book more gigs. And I like that.) (top)
10. I want to pay via GigMasters. What is GigMasters and how do I book Gordon Avenue with it?
GigMasters is an event marketplace where people hire musicians, DJ’s, and the like, for their events. You will be able to pay for your event with a 100% money-back guarantee, backed by the GigMasters corporation. Many clients discover me through GigMasters. And so, the more events I confirm through GigMasters the higher my rankings. Which I like very much.
So how do you create a GigMasters profile? If you found me via GigMasters . . . then you’ve already done it! If not, I can create a profile and book the event for you! (Why give you extra work?) After I create your event/profile you will receive an email from GigMasters, asking to confirm the booking (with a link to do so). Click on the link and it will take you to your newly created GigMasters profile. From there you can pay with your card, as well as leave me a review after the event. (hint hint) (top)
11. Can we customize a package or service?
Yes! The packages listed are simply the most popular configurations of my services. Each can be customized by removing unwanted services, adding additional services, or starting from scratch. In such cases these packages serve as “pricing guideposts.” (top)
12. What are the travel costs? How are they calculated?
Most of the weddings I work are close enough that I do not need to charge anything extra. But sometimes this is necessary. Travel costs are determined by how long it takes me to drive to the event location and back home. Here’s how it works:
(i.e. 2 hours roundtrip = $50; 3 hours roundtrip = $100; etc.) (top)
13. What will Gordon need on-site the day of the event?
I require my clients to provide a few simple things for me on the day of the event:
1. Provide safe and adequate power within 100 feet of ceremony, cocktail hour and reception venues. (I don’t mind running extension cords to power, but I don’t carry more than a few hundred feet of cord. Plus, if there’s no power I need to know ahead of time, so I can reserve you a generator or battery power supply.)
2. Provide a meal for Gordon and one guest (usually his wife) to eat. (Either the same food you’re serving your guests or a “vendor meal” from your caterer).
3. Have a back up plan in case of rain/snow. This means that you have access to a covered space (tent or indoors) or that you’ll reserve a popup tent for me (10ft by 10ft) if there is potential rain/snow in the forecast. I simply cannot setup thousands of dollars of gear with no cover and potential rain/snow in the forecast and then “hope for the best.”
4. For the “Big Celebration” and “Corporate Event” packages only: A 6 foot table adjacent to the dance floor on which I can place my DJ gear. (This enables me to travel in a more fuel efficient vehicle that doesn’t fit a table that size) (top)